Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Why I'm Doing This

Hello readers,

I'm not a politician, pundit, or lobbyist. I am a registered dietitian and exercise physiologist who recently made reference to health care reform on another blog. The post generated more referrals than I expected...which suggested to me that a lot of people are looking for information and not finding what they want.

I specialize in areas of medicine that traditionally have not fared well with with our current system--weight management, mental health, eating disorders, and infertility. So I figured it might behoove me to take a closer look at the proposed reform as it pertains to the people I have committed my career to serving.

The discussion is destined to be long and detailed, and I didn't want it to detract from the purpose of the blog where I first posted a comment, an infertility/eating disorders/weight management blog, so I decided to start a new blog where I can start to look at the bill, item by item.

What I'll be doing here is going through the bill, section by section, and sharing about what I see. I will be opening up my entries for comment. However, I will be moderating the comments. There are plenty of places on the Internet to rant, surmise, opine, share propaganda, and manipulate with scare tactics...and that's exactly what I don't want this to be. If you have strong emotions about the bill, and do not wish to take the time to share them in an evidence-based fashion, please find another blog to discuss those.

If you have thoughts or would like to challenge my thoughts, please be professional, calm, and when possible, reference your ideas.

I look forward to a challenging and respectful discussion!

Monika M. Woolsey, MS, RD

No comments:

Post a Comment